Cleaning your home’s windows is a chore that typically ranks up there with giving the dog a bath or heading to a mall on Christmas Eve. We know it has to be done once per season, but boy is it a pain. While we can’t exactly make it fun for you, we can at least give you tips to make it as easy as possible!
Window Cleaning Supplies
The fastest way to knock out this chore is to have all your supplies gathered before you begin. What you’ll need:
- A dry towel from the dirty clothes hamper
- One clean towel
- Small bucket of warm water
- Dish soap
- Cleaning rag
- Small, clean, lint-free towel
- Window cleaning solution
- Vacuum cleaner with hose attachment
Homemade Window Cleaning Solution
There are plenty of great window cleaning products available commercially, but it’s easy enough to make your own cleaning solution that is just as — if not more effective — and it’s all natural. In a spray bottle, add one part room-temperature water and one part white vinegar. If you’d like your solution to smell great, add 5 drops of essential lemon or orange oil. Note that if you do add essential oils, gently shake the bottle before each use.
“Z” For The Win
It’s best to clean your windows during a dry, partly cloudy day. This will allow you to catch streaks as you clean. Now that you’re ready, here are the seven steps to a sparkling clean window:
- Place the used towel on the floor beneath the window to catch any spillage.
- Use the vacuum cleaner’s attachment to remove debris from the window sill and window tracks.
- Add a few drops of dish soap to the bucket of warm water.
- Use a cleaning rag to scrub the window and the window sills. Don’t worry about streaks at this point.
- Use a clean towel to dry the window.
- Working from top to bottom, spray the window with a cleaning solution.
- Using the lint-free towel, slowly make your way down the window in the shape of a Z.
Some people find it easier to do all the windows on one floor at once, and some prefer to break up the chore and do one room at a time while they’re watching TV, listening to music or even talking on the phone.
Ready to buy or build a new home? Ed Currie and his team are here to help. Whether it’s discussing loan options and rates, they’ll do everything possible to help you get the loan that fits your needs and your budget. For more information, schedule an appointment with mortgage loan expert Ed Currie today or call us at 847-214-2404. Check us out on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest or Instagram for our latest tips and updates!